[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Citadel Space • View topic - DFM Review

Main Site | Ops | Intel | Chat

DFM Review

Discuss the latest political developments or patch notes here as well as have your questions about the game and game mechanics answered.

DFM Review

Postby Durron » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:22 am

So after the event last night, most people headed out the door pretty quickly.

For the few of us that stayed around, we got to meet CR, Sandi, Ben Lesnick and a few others which was awesome. I got about two minutes with Chris, and he was a very down to earth guy who felt awful the demo didn't go as planned.

Anyways, after I got his autograph I went and watched a few of the developers playing the DFM, and suddenly they started letting the couple people that were left play as well!

I jumped in the seat, got in my hornet, and was off :)

From a technical standpoint:
The visuals were stunning. There's no way the live stream could have done it justice, as the big screen they were casting on wasn't a great resolution. I just sat for a minute taking in the scene that was the dog fighting field.
Movement was smooth, no studdering when the ship move or having items glitch through you. The character moved as I would have expected with the ship and the controls were responsive.

Collision detection and damage states also worked great. I misjudged my flight path and my wing clipped an asteroid, which knocked some pieces off and the end of the wing starting sparking. I didn't notice any difference in how my ship was flying, but it might have not been enough damage for that or I just wasn't used to how the ship handled yet.

Gameplay:
Overall the game play was pretty great. There is definitely some tweaking that has to be done to different controls, such as acceleration and deceleration, but those were minor issues. Movement was pretty easy to pick up considering the complexity of moving around in space. I wasn't able to figure out how to lock and launch the missiles (they might have been turned off), but we were able to see that during the demo.

One thing that was a bit bothersome was causing damage to the other ships seemed to be a bit difficult. There was one point where I was about 50m behind another ship, pummeling him with laser shots, and he barely seemed to be taking any damage. I don't know if I was using the wrong weapons or what, but I think the shield were recharging really fast, as I kept seeing them pop back up after a second even though I kept firing.

Overall the experience was great. I got to play for about 15 minutes then I let someone else try it out. Most of my gripes about it are just tweaking damages and other stats, which is what testing is all about. Don't let the fact that the demo failed worry you too much. I was talking with one of the AI programmers and he said they had a server in Boston they were going to use that crashed, which had the stable build on it. They quickly connected out to the Austin server, but that had newer patches on it they caused the issues we saw during the livestream.

I have full faith in Chris Roberts and the CIG team to give us what we're looking for and more, and I can't wait to get my hands on it in a few weeks with all of you!
Durron
COO

Re: DFM Review

Postby Tealstone » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks for the update, Durron -- I'm super psyched to get into the DFM and try it out!
Tealstone
CEO

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:
MISC Hull:

Postby Lancer Vance » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Dude that is awesome, I wish I could have gone, I'm only 7 1/2 hours from where the PAX took place, but I have my own stuff to deal with. Aside from that, very cool, I hope to one day meet CR, have wanted to since Wing Commander popped up. I can't wait for the DFM to release. We will be able to get some real training done by that time. Very cool Durron, very cool.

Also..slightly off topic, but how did the meeting of other org's go? Did you see any groups we are already allied with?
~ LAZR
Lancer Vance
Panda Bears

Postby Calignos » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:04 pm

My friends who were also attending the event showed up right after I posted that comment about me being near the stage. Ended up chatting with them for a bit and ended up having to leave shortly after.. stupid early training the next morning for work :cry: So my apologies for not tracking you down Durron.

Overall, it was a rough demonstration, but the potential is definitely there. I appreciate the review for all the stuff I missed.
Calignos
Intelligence Director

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:

Postby Ragman33 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm jealous of you so much. Unfortunately I live in Canada so there was no way I could attend lol
Ragman33
Panda Bears

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby Husker » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Yeah, I hear from people that got to play it that it is actually pretty cool, so I'm psyched!

I do have a couple of questions/doubts, though, since you played it:

-The head-bob effect due to the g-forces seemed a tad bit excessive by video, so I was wondering how that felt to someone who actually played it.

-How was the sound? It was pretty hard to judge from the streaming? I do realize sound is probably placeholder a this point, but it still would be nice to know.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience, I'm really jealous (pretty hard to attend for someone who lives in Brazil, heh).

See ya!
Husker

Postby EchoSeven » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:20 am

Unbelievable.

You got a signature.

You got to play DFM.

YOU LUCKY GUY! :)
Got Parts, Jarrod, Charr, Mac and [others]
System Echo Seven
EchoSeven
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby Strider » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am

Durron,

Did you play with mouse/keyboard, 360 controller, or HOTAS?

Like many others, I've been thinking of what to get for this game, and I'm currently thinking 360 + mouse/kb. Even though I like the immersion a HOTAS setup would bring, it comes at a pretty steep price, and the dual joysticks on the 360 controller seem like they'd be useful for this game.
Strider
Hell's Angels

Postby Durron » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:30 am

Durron
COO

Return to Game News & FAQs