[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Citadel Space • View topic - Hardware

Main Site | Ops | Intel | Chat

Hardware

Feel free to discuss anything related to the game here.

Re: Hardware

Postby Durron » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:47 pm

I've been meaning to post here and keep forgetting.
Case:

Looks great. I personally have a NZXT Phantom, love the thing, it's Darth Vader Black :). The important thing is having space though and with a full tower you should be good, hopefully the interior isn't hard to work with(I haven't looked it up)

Processor:

The i5 vs i7 debate can change person to person. While I agree with Echo that most of the time you really don't need the i7, it can be handy. I currently have an i7 2600K in my machine, and the hyper threading makes a huge difference for me since I am a developer. I can reduce compile times of some projects by as much as 60% by opening it up to using all 8 cores (4 real 4 virtual, the computer can't tell the difference though). The actually speed (3.3 vs 3.4 GHz) isn't all that much, but the extra cache helps with larger programs as well (Think movie and photo editing software and, again, development environments). I believe the reason for the CryEngine running a little faster on the i5 is due to it not being optimized for the amount of threads the i7 provides. I'm not sure how much Star Citizen will improve that, but I'm sure as time goes on the CryEngine will be expandable to more threads.

SSD:

It depends on how much you care about the speed of SC launching is. You defintely want your OS on an SSD. On Windows 8 I go from pressing the on button to my desktop in 5.2 seconds, on a cold boot. I store my main applications on the SSD as well, but have moved my games to my larger 1 TB hard drive since games can take up so much space. You can easily store Star Citizen, your OS, and your core programs on a 250GB drive though ( Echo I'm not sure why your recommending another drive, I usually find it creates more clutter than anything else inside the computer, even with a large case, I reserve 3+ drive computers for servers mostly). Seagate is a good company, usually you want to base your purchase on the reviews which it seems like you have.

Graphics Card:

The 780 is an absolute beast of a card, I think your going to be good for a while. Something to remember though is Chris Roberts has stated that the top of the line graphics cards now will most likely run Star Citizen on medium settings. As for AMD vs NVidia, I've always been an NVidia guy. I know Mantle is coming out and is going to allow better access to the low level graphics hardware, but something to remember is that NVidia has the ability to make their cards Mantle capable as well. Mantle was designed as a platform agnostic API, so anyone can implement. Will NVidia do so? Who knows. If they start losing sales because developers are using Mantle and showing a lot of improvement over DirectX, then I would say they probably will to save face and continue making a profit. It's too early to tell.

Power Supply::

I've never used Roswell, thought I hear they're good. I have a Corsair TX 750W in mine. Again like Echo said make sure the voltages are all right, and that it will support the SLI that YOU may want in the future. It may be able to run two 660s, but not two 780s.

Memory

: I always say more is better with memory, which is usually true :). I put 8GB into my rig (I built it in 2010) and it's served me just fine, but I do push the limits sometimes, and with SC, it wouldn't hurt to have more. The thing to remember with memory though is it's the easiest component to modify, popping memory sticks in and out is simple, so if you find you need more memory down the road, you can just add more, unlike a processor.

Optical Drive:

I barely use mine, it's nice to have every once and a while though. I picked up a nice Blu-Ray burner for somewhere around $80, which I'm sure have come down in price. If your going to put in an optical drive, I would say at least get one with a blu ray reader to stay with the times. I know some publishers are talking about releasing games on blu ray to cut down on the amount of disks you need. It's also nice to be able to watch blu ray movies on my computer :).

Sound Card:

I've never actually seen the need for a sound card, but audiophiles seem to notice the difference. If you do get one Echo is right, make sure you get a decent sound system to complement it :)

Overall it seems like a great build. As I mentioned before , check out http://www.pcpartpicker.com . You can put in your components and it will check to make sure everything works for you, and also give you deals on where to buy stuff, or comparable parts for cheaps (Say an EVGAGraphics card instead of a MSI for $50 less). You can also add in SLI to see what any future requirements might be.

One other thing to consider is that over the next year a lot of things are changing in the PC industry. Next year will see the rise of DDR4 RAM, which will be faster than DDR3 by a decent amount and use less power. We should see an Intel processor update as well. As I mentioned with Graphics Cards, the longer you wait the better SC will look.
The problem with the PC industry is your always playing catch up. The turnaround on new tech is about 6 months, so by the time you've done your research and bought and built everything, something new is out. Usually I just say by the stuff when you want a new computer (usually trying to catch whatever the latest processor turnaround was), but it may be worth it to wait for DDR4 RAM and a few generations of graphics cards, depending on how antsy you are to play the alpha and beta :)

Hopefully this was helpful, good luck!
Durron
COO

Postby EchoSeven » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Got Parts, Jarrod, Charr, Mac and [others]
System Echo Seven
EchoSeven
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby Durron » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Durron
COO

Postby EchoSeven » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:48 am

RE : Sound - As far as sound goes, I'll add that the http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-stx is also an excellent choice. You can also pick up some amazing legacy PCI cards and use them as PCIE with a rise/adaptor, which I knew nothing about until recently..
System Echo Seven
EchoSeven
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby MarkusHaven » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 am

I got the hanger module to work on a mac mini last night running Windows 8 in bootcamp with only 4 G of RAM. It was a little buggy, but I'm thinking the ram, the slightly inferior GPU, and the inherent bugs of the hanger had something to do with that. It'll work until I get this build done.
MarkusHaven
Adam & Eves

Postby MarkusHaven » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:07 am

AFter i posted about the Mac, I saw your other comments. I guessed I missed them before. Thanks for all the input and keep it coming to help other Citadel members. The "Hardware" section in RSI gets to big and confusing.

My thoughts on the multiple monitors was just making sure I could run 3 idential monitors with 1 GPU or 2 later when I add another identical GPU. AT this point I would probably pick the 780, but I will watch up to the point of buying and just go with the best reasonably priced GPU I can. At least I can hopefully pull them out and replace them down the road. I figure I'll have 3 years of life with a dual setup.

I have a good friend who is a very knowledgeable IT person. He works on PC's all day, but is a mac expert. I think when it comes to gaming PC's we are both learning a little together.
MarkusHaven
Adam & Eves

Postby MarkusHaven » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:18 pm

CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $319.99
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $376.99
Memory PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.97
PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.97
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $159.99
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.48
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card $499.99
Wireless Network Adapter Belkin F9L1001 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter $19.64
Case NZXT H630 ATX Full Tower Case $149.99
Power Supply Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $129.99
Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer and blu ray reader $15.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit) $99.98
Monitor Asus VE278H 27.0" Monitor $210.98

This is my most current build specs if anyone cares. :D
It's all subject to change, but I decided to go with an overclocked CPU, with 3 way SLI capability, I found the case on an extreme pcpartpicker.com youtube build that I really liked, windows 8.1 for DirectX 11.2, added blu ray reader just in case, and doubled the hard drive room, still running OS and SC on SSD, I will upgrade PSU when (if) I get a third GPU, I will not be doing a liquid cooled unit, so I have heat sinks on the ram and will probably add some fans if I need to.
MarkusHaven
Adam & Eves

Postby EchoSeven » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Great choice processor. I think the B/B is overkill, unless you have the funds to throw around - but hey, it is an absolute beauty. Go 16GB. Are you using 2 different 8GB Memory chips? If so - use the same for both. Totally agree with the choice of EVO. I'd go Western Digital Black 2TB myseld, unles you have a good reason to go to the seagate. Others can comment better on the Video Card, wireless adaptor and case. The monitor seems very good.

You still havn't added a sound card - I've just upgraded to the Asus Xonar STX and have been completely blown away. I would so absolutely go for it - and make sure you get some great quality headphones to go with it. The STX is primarily for music and audiophiles, but does well with games too. Read about it here: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/as ... iew,1.html

Better yet, you can pick this card up for about 100 on ebay if you keep your eyes peeled. Many people want the best but don't have the patience to configure it, and let it go for half the price. Well worth it.

Rest looks great. Nice job.
System Echo Seven
EchoSeven
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby EchoSeven » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Are you putting it together yourself?

I did so with my recent upgrade and found it very satisfying. Community helped me a few times.
You can check my progress over here --> https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.c ... ks-guys/p1
System Echo Seven
EchoSeven
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby MarkusHaven » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Cool I'll check out the links. What was meant by B/B? The main reason I haven't added a sound card is I'll be playing in the bedroom where my wife resides some and I will only be wearing headphones and just didn't think anymore than the Mobo put out was important? Am I wrong there?
Yes, I will have 2 x 8G ram identical. I'll start buying components soon as they "go on sale", stuff that probably wont' change much like the SSD, drives, and case. I have a friend that will be putting the machine together for me once everything is bought. We will do it together so I can learn a bit more about it.
I read the GPU dictionary yesterday and learned a lot about SLI and such. I'm most likely going with NVidia video cards and if mantle and AMD take over the world soon, I'll just deal with it and upgrade later.

I enjoyed learning about the future of 4K resolution and display ports. This game is going to push the limits over the next 3 years. When everyone gets the 4K itch new video cards are going to fly off the shelf and so will new monitors. At least the 780 GPU's have display ports, but it's going to be a push to get that much output on multiple monitors.
MarkusHaven
Adam & Eves

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions