[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Citadel Space • View topic - Hardware

Main Site | Ops | Intel | Chat

Hardware

Feel free to discuss anything related to the game here.

Re: Hardware

Postby EchoSeven » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:10 pm

And why is that? I'm interested, as my Video card choice is coming up.
Also, if you do end up with a decent dedicated sound card (and the Asus Xonar SFX is breathtaking), let me know and I will show you a solution for your whole CD collection that dumps ITunes for good and will let you listen at 14.1k. :P
Got Parts, Jarrod, Charr, Mac and [others]
System Echo Seven
EchoSeven
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby MarkusHaven » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:08 pm

We looked at the specs between the GTX 780 (usually the lightning variation) and the R9 290. On paper the R9 looks better being a 4 GB vs 3 GB, and the interface is larger on the R9 being a 512 vs 384 (I believe without looking). The clock speed is a bit higher on the 780, but that's because its working harder to perform as well (we assumed). The R9 runs hot and the performance in the specs is only in theory. So we watched a liquid cooled test between these two specific cards to see if the R9 would just open up and burn the 780. The opposite happened. The 780 excelled with the extra cooling and the R9 didn't out perform the 780. So liquid cooled or not, the 780 was working better real world put to the test.

So it appeared the 780 was a clear winner in that test, but then you have to consider that the 780 cost $50-90 more and there's no clear winner on the next advancements with API's. Direct X or Mantle? We know mantle might be the next big thing and the R9 will be able to utilize more of the cores' power, so I'm still up in the air. There's the possibility that Nvidia will follow suit and start supporting Mantle, but I don't know if it will be compatible with already bought GPU or if that GPU will be upgradable with software.

I'm leaning towards the 780 and just make sure I have a motherboard that is compatible with SLI or Crossfire if I decided to strip out the GPU and start over later. I'm no expert on this, but I have done my share of reading and research and asking around. If anyone hears anything let me know. I plan on buying a GPU in a month or so. I think in the meantime I'm going to add a few Gig to the mac mini and be able to limp in to the game modules.
MarkusHaven
Adam & Eves

Postby Siycle » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:33 pm

Check out the overclocked 780 acx version. The acx cooling system is impressive. Initially I purchased a stock 780, days later the acx version was announced and I traded mine in for it. No real noticeable difference while playing games like metro/tomb raider/crisis 3 etc... However it did about 20-33% better on all benchmark tests and runs quieter and cooler. The acx version really opened up an already excellent GPU. I haven't bothered overclocking it yet because there is no need for it but for highest end games temperature is stable and fans are only running at about 62% for me. I'm sure if the need arises this thing can be pushed even further.
Siycle
Hell's Angels

Postby EchoSeven » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Just read an article in the hardware foirums that the r9 290x that most review places got were cherry picked and true performance was about five to ten percent off. Not nice.
System Echo Seven
EchoSeven
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby Nubanator » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:20 am

I was hoping to pick the brains of my fellow members and think this would be a proper place to pose the question. I'm looking for a living room type setup (mostly) for watching T.V. and Movies from streaming sites as I don't have cable/satellite. How powerful of components should I be looking at, specifically what cpu and gpu would be sufficient for surfing internet and watching videos on my big tv? Do you think it would be fairly cheap to make this happen? I've also been hearing about Steam OS, but know very little about it. Is it possible to get a steam machine and also surf the internet and watch videos from streaming sites? It does seem like a neat idea to have my entire library available on my big screen. But then again what's the difference with just loading steam onto a dedicated living room mid-range pc? I find myself with more questions than answers.

Any insight or opinions would be most helpful in my endeavors. You will be rewarded with random internet pictures which include but is certainly not limited to...
Nubanator
CFO

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:
MISC Hull:

Postby EchoSeven » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:15 am

Ugh! Looks like my brother in law. :D

Great to hear from you Nubanator!

It's not too demanding, so you only need a fairly basic box. Many who do this sort of build settle on a tiny, square case which looks kind of cool. Doesn't cost much either. Fairly low end specs.

Use an AMD processor and board (Intel is just silly), 8GB RAM is plenty, Get a decent HDD in it, with a long warranty, as that will be used quite heavily. I suggest this :

Asus M5A78L-M-LX V2 (AM3+ Board, quite good) 68AU
AM3 Sempron LE-145 41AU
Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA3 250GB 189AU (Overkill, you could also go a Western Digital Red, Black or Blue)
8GB Kit 90AU
Wireless Network Card $25 or so

Your choice of case.

Temporarily connect your DVD drive for O/S install/drivers, then put on some remote access software. Connect remote desktop and your all set. :)

I imagine you would want some sort of a TV adaptor in there, I'll let others make some recommendations..

That's my vision anyway, but if others come along that actually know more about it, I contritely retract. :D
System Echo Seven
EchoSeven
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby MarkusHaven » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:40 pm

As long as you don't plan on using it as a media server for many other TV's 8 G ram is enough. I run a plex server off a 8 G ram Mac mini which I prefer to PC for this sorta thing. But I have up to 7 or 8 pulling media from it. I've had a NAS and it didn't work as well. Have about 900 movies on an external raided drive for redundancy But I've considered building something cheap with 16-32 G and leave it under the tv. I would just remote into it and not even need a separate monitor. I'm in love with the Roku 3 and just bought 6. I sold 4 apple TV's. Pieces of crap unless u just want pics and music. The libraries are so temperamental.
MarkusHaven
Adam & Eves

Postby EchoSeven » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:49 pm

I demand a random internet picture now. ;0
System Echo Seven
EchoSeven
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby Tealstone » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:27 pm

Tealstone
CEO

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:
MISC Hull:

Postby Nubanator » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks for the info, decided an easy workaround (for right now) is just to mirror my Samsung phone to my Samsung TV. But later when I upgrade this PC, I'll claim it for downstairs. Now the TV is starting to go out, thinking of replacing it with a Sharp Aquos. Geek Squad to the rescue.

Thanks for the help, was nice to see the different options. Good brainstorming, random interweb pic in
1....Spock and a Kitten

Oh and buff teletubbies...
Nubanator
CFO

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:
MISC Hull:

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions