[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Citadel Space • View topic - Controller types?

Main Site | Ops | Intel | Chat

Controller types?

Feel free to discuss anything related to the game here.

Controller types?

Postby chaos_geek » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Tired of my general discussion questions yet?

Anyway, I've been thinking about what would be the best set up for controls. CR seems to favor the XBox controller when running demos, but somewhere in my head I think a Joystick would be best for slight, and switching to keyboard and mouse when planet side.

Any thoughts?
chaos_geek
Panda Bears

Re: Controller types?

Postby JayneCobb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:43 pm

The only thing is that I don't see how a joystick will be able to have full control of the RCS in a space game. Xbox controller at least has two albeit smaller joysticks.
JayneCobb
Offensive Fleet Admiral

Postby zramn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:32 pm

A typical joystick has two axis, the big one, and one on the tip of the big one. But for RCS, I will personally be using wasdqe and ijkluo to translate.

As always, ZRAMN (mobile)
zramn
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:
MISC Hull:

Postby Strider » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:44 pm

My plan is to give the xbox controller a shot for the dogfighting module. I may get real joysticks once I have an idea of how it actually plays, but for $35 for the USB xbox controller, it's worth a shot. The good news is lots of PC games are console ports, and can be easily played with a controller, so it won't go to waste even if I upgrade.

The other consideration I have is the use of Oculus Rift. I'd like a controller that I don't have to look at, and the xbox controller certainly fits that bill. A larger, more complex joystick bristling with buttons would at the very least be a tougher learning curve.
Strider
Hell's Angels

Postby JayneCobb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:28 pm

JayneCobb
Offensive Fleet Admiral

Postby braindonut » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:49 pm

braindonut
COO Emeritus

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby Tealstone » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:08 pm

I'll be picking up the Oculus Rift, no doubt.
Tealstone
CEO

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:
MISC Hull:

Postby zramn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Same. Oculus Rift will be (hopefully) used in many games to come. I just really hope they do not go wireless, or at least offer a way to do it actually wired. The lag would translate into visual lag when moving in the game, and I would definitely get sick.
zramn
Adam & Eves

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:
MISC Hull:

Postby Wave » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:17 am

Oh damn, this was the last thing I needed to hear about. Now I'm tempted to make a microATX Pc with Oculus rift as the main monitor, put it in a backpack with a UPS and have a mobile computing platform. I have too much time on my hands to know about these things. xD

Speaking of mobile computing, is anyone going to look into (or has already looked into) the Nvidia Shield? I was thinking of getting one so I could game while relaxing in bed like the lazy fuck I am.
Wave
Director of Diplomacy and Relations

ORIGIN 890 Jump:

Postby Tealstone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:02 pm

If you do the Rift in the mini-backpack, maybe you could mount a webcam ON the rift, so you could walk around while wearing the backpack.
Tealstone
CEO

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:
MISC Hull:

Next

Return to General Discussions