[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Citadel Space • View topic - Darhoth's Application

Main Site | Ops | Intel | Chat

Darhoth's Application

So, you want to be a part of Citadel Space? Click here and read the "How To Apply" thread.

Darhoth's Application

Postby Darhoth » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:03 pm

1. The in-game name of the character with whom you'll be joining -- please make sure your forum name here matches. - darhoth (though with the likely inevitable eventual death of characters, I am sure I will have others after the main man goes away)

2. Whether you wish to be a part of the Adam and Eves (Industrial/Mining) or the Hell's Angels (Military/Fighter Pilot). - Adam and Eves primarily, though I have a strong interest in exploration as well for economic game.

3. Any previous experience in flight/space sims. - Wing Commander back in the day. I am also a backer of Elite Dangerous and in the World of Warplanes beta. I am sure I have played other flight sims that have past in memory.

4. What your veteran backing/pledge status is and what ships you'll be starting with. - Veteran backer currently with a Freelancer only, with the goal of outfitting for exploration and some hauling. I will likely add a Starfarer for optimal hauling missions and to support the combat wing in operations. I will probably also add an Aurora to learn the game a bit at lower cost.

5. Please provide at least 200 words telling us about you. We are a group of mature, like-minded individuals who are interested in enjoying our time in game -- we're looking to make sure that your membership with be beneficial to both parties.

Well before I tell you a bit about myself, I wanted to say that I was impressed with the recruiting thread on reddit and the website information. I am looking for a well-organized mature guild with members that can accomplish great things on their own, but can also work together for even greater goals. A bit about myself. I am a 36 year old lawyer for a bank in Virginia (I know typical gamer profile right?). I have been a serious gamer my whole life, running guilds in Mechassault (Xbox 360), Rainbow Six (Xbox 360), World of Warcraft and ran a MUD back in the day (for those that remember the glory days of text-based gaming). I have also played on relatively serious ranked teams in League of Legends. In the MMORPGs I have played, I have always focused on building the economic power of the group to support our larger efforts, whether that was being the only grandmaster crafter of a type in Dark Age of Camelot or working the auction house in World of Warcraft.

Star Citizen is the single game I am most excited about at this point. I expect to dedicate most of my free gaming time to it once it is out. I actively follow developments on the website and convince myself every day not to buy new ships :) I am looking for a guild with a strong organizational structure, good attitudes and a willingness to succeed as a group above all else. This doesn't mean we have to be goody two shoes, but whatever we do, we do it together.

I read some of the back and forth in the other applications. I would be interested in helping to build the Conglomerate from the ground up. Having run a MUD before and run guilds in various games, I have a good background and experience for what works (and more often does not work) in gaming groups. Based on what I have seen so far, I believe the Congolmerate would be a good fit.

Thanks for the consideration.

darhoth
Darhoth
CFO Emeritus

Re: Darhoth's Application

Postby Tealstone » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Oh, wow... Darhoth. You are my kind of guy.

First, thank you for your compliments. I've put a lot of time and resources into putting all of this together in a very short period of time -- it doesn't all quite blend as well as I'd like yet, but it's something we're working on.

Second, out of curiosity, what kind of law do you practice? I work for a higher education institution and, as a fringe benefit, I can pretty much take any class I choose. So, in addition to the computer science and culinary arts classes, I wound up taking Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Criminal Judiciary and a couple of other classes when I got involved managing the Life of a Law Student podcast (http://lifeofalawstudent.com/) which has since been sold.

Lastly, MUDs. Oh, sweet MUDs. I'm a software (web application) developer by trade. I learned to code back in the early 90's on Diku/ROM MUDs and was an administrator on a couple of PennMUSH sites. In fact, I still host a PennMUSH on the same box this website and TS server are on.

Love your previous gaming experience -- very similar to mine. So, based on your application and, even more, your willingness to lend a hand in helping develop our direction, I'd like to invite you on to the Adam and Eves wing of the Citadel Conglomerate.

If you have any questions at all, please ask away. If you're comfortable, let me know if you accept the offer and I'll add you to the roster. :)

Regards,
Tealstone
Tealstone
CEO

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:
MISC Hull:

Postby Darhoth » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks, I accept. I practice eDiscovery (the law and technology related to the preservation, collection, processing, review, production and disposition of electronic documents). It is the perfect crossroads of law and technology for me (though spending my time translating from lawyer to IT and back can be trying). I ran a RoT MUD (Realms of Thoth - offshoot of ROM MUDs). I self-taught best I could how to code, though never was our best coder. There is some instance of it out there still run by some of the original players though I have not logged on in quite awhile.

Looking forward to working with everyone to build us up.

darhoth
Darhoth
CFO Emeritus

Postby Tealstone » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Welcome to the roster!

You now have access to the members-only boards below where we've started discussing some of the aspects of the organization and direction... Please feel free to chime in and give your thoughts as well.

Thanks!
Tealstone
Tealstone
CEO

ORIGIN 890 Jump:
Orion Mining Platform:
MISC Hull:

Postby Darhoth » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Great, thanks.
Darhoth
CFO Emeritus